228th ENMC International Workshop: Airway Clearance Techniques in Neuromuscular Disorders Naarden
Toussaint M, et al
Centre for Home Mechanical Ventilation and Specialized Centre for Neuromuscular Diseases, Inkendaal Rehabilitation Hospital, Vlezenbeek, Belgium.
- This report provides with an algorithmic approach to ACT management in NMDs.
- ACTs are employed to compensate for weak respiratory muscles in people with NMDs.
- Peripheral ACTs aim to improve ventilation and mucus transport.
- Proximal ACTs aim to improve cough by augmenting inspiration, expiration or both.
- Cough efficacy requires peak cough flow values above 160–200 L/min in adult NMDs.